DETOX DAY 7: Sleep
What is the most important aspect of going through a detox or cleanse? You might think it’s eliminating the toxins, or replenishing your body with good, nutritious food and clean, distilled water. While those two things are equally important I feel the most important aspect of cleansing the body is sleep. When we sleep our cells get a chance to rejuvenate and we are better able to handle the stresses of life. That is another aspect of cleansing that I will discuss tomorrow: Stress. But for right now sleep and rest is the best way to get through a detox with my mind intact.
Our bodies need sleep just as much as they need water. But the right amount of sleep is different for each person based on their nutritional needs. For me the right amount is a good 7 hours. 7 hours helps my body remain in the holding pattern of homeostasis or balance, and while I’m detoxing these 7 hours are more important than ever before. One reason is that my body is dumping many toxins out and while I’m eliminating the toxins my body needs every chance it can to get back to a holding pattern where it can regroup and be stronger than it was yesterday.
Here’s what sleep can do for you even when you’re not detoxing.
- It keeps your heart healthy by lowering your blood pressure.
- It may prevent cancer. (detect, repair & replace, this is how our cells prevent disease)
- It reduces stress. (Yes I know that sometimes it’s the stress that prevents you from sleeping).
- Sleep reduces inflammation, but only if you sleep in the prone position. (sleeping in a chair does the exact opposite.)
- Sleep makes you more alert. (You’ll do better on tests if you have a good night’s rest instead of cramming all night.)
- Sleep makes your memory better. (You’ll remember the facts for that test and you’ll also remember where you put your car keys at.)
- Sleep also helps with weight loss (Because when you sleep you don’t crave carbs as much.)
- Sleep is also associated with reduced risk of depression.
- Every cell in your body repairs when you sleep.
- Sleep helps you look youthful longer.